According to the documentation, it's recommended that the message size
be <= 1 Megabyte. I've searched around for the reason for this
recommendation, but I can't seem to find anything. Based on some basic
benchmarking serializing/unserializing messages ranging from a few KB
to more than 1MB in C++ there doesn't seem to be a drastic increase in
time. More specifically, it doesn't seem to be performance driven in a
C++ application.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.