Having some troubles with OpenForInsert in my C++ plugin.

I'm currently running my plugin standalone without the released protoc. I
have a folder call "results" and inside that a precreated file called
"test.h". Inside test.h I have a few lines of text and halfway through I
have //@@protoc_insertion_point(feedme).

In my plugin I attempt to open the file with..
   scoped_ptr<io::ZeroCopyOutputStream> output(
output_directory->OpenForInsert("test.h","feedme") );

I then run my proto compiler one directory above the "results" directory
and invoke it like so,
   ./protoc-mycomp --my_out=results moose.proto cow.proto

It then however throws the error* "test.h: Tried to insert into file that
doesn't exist."*
**
Confused about what may be causing this, maybe some sort of limitation in
the compiler that I am missing?