Hello,

I am using Python to write a tool to control our backends which communicate
using protocol buffers.

We would like our tool to be independent on current version of backends and
therefore independent on .proto files that were used to build the
particular version of the backend.

Therefore the tool receives serialized FileDescriptorSet over network,
which should allow to create messages from the same descriptors, that are
used at the backend side.

This is possible to implement in C++ (and we actually use it in another
component) using DynamicMessage. (Create DescriptorPool, load all the
FileDescriptors
to the pool using BuildFile(), and then retrieve Descriptor from the pool.
Then it is possible to create message using DynamicMessageFactory)

However, after thorough research on the web and of the source code of
protocol buffers python bindings, I couldn't figure out how to do this
(version 2.4.0).

I was able to deserialize FileDescriptorSet, iterate over FileDescriptorProtos
and get DescriptorProto object. However I didn't find a way to construct
Descriptor
objects, which are needed to create classes for message types(with
GeneratedProtocolMessageType
as a metaclass).

I tried another way, when I found some access to C++ library API in
google.protobuf.internal (which is probably not a good idea to use). I
tried to indirectly use the C++ descriptor pool by cpp_message.BuildFile(),
but there is no way to get the Descriptor object back from the pool (it
would be C++ object anyway). However there is a method
cpp_message.NewCMessage, which can construct a message using descriptors
from the pool. I was able to construct messages that way, but I was unable
to set any fields. Only method that appeared usable was SetScalar, which
requires C++ decriptor, which I was unable to get. Not to mention all of
the Python magic is gone when dealing directly with the C++ API.

Is there any way to create messages of arbitrary type, which is distributed
over network, in Python ? I see those possibilities in both Java and C++,
is Python library lacking such funcionality ?

Thank you very much, hope I was clear enough.
Best regards,¨

Jan Koritak