Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 442 by u...@cybereason.com: google.protobuf.text_format.Merge fails to parse values returned from google.protobuf.text_format.MessageToString

I'm using the python implementation of protobuf.
When using a Message containing a string representing a path on my computer, the following code raises a paring error:

new_msg = Msg()
Merge(MessageToString(msg), new_msg)

This happens when Msg contains a string property with a path, where one of the directories in the path starts with "x86"
(for example: C:\\Windows\\winsxs\\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_...)
In these cases, the parser mistakes this for an escaped '\x86' character and raises a utf-8 parsing error.

The version is protobuf-2.4.1.