I encountered the same problem.  I got it to work by building first prior
to installing:

cd protobuf-2.5.0rc1
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd python
python ./setup.py build
sudo python ./setup.py install

Good luck!

I hope this new version fixes some of the Python C++ implementation bugs in
2.4.1.  I am looking forward to testing this.