See <https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/cpptutorial>,
the section on required, optional, and repeated fields. The general
answer is yes, there’s full backwards and forwards compatibility
between different versions of protobuf and different versions of
your message, except that the things that *obviously* won’t work (like
adding a *required* field and trying to parse an old message that
didn’t have that field) won’t work.

Chris