Hi Ilia,

Though I have CFLAGS defined in my makefile I don't think that is being used.
The Makefile in the example directory (copied below) does not have either the
%.o:%.cc rule or any CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS but still it can build the executable
successfully using the default ones.

<ExampleMakefile>
# See README.txt.

.PHONY: all cpp java python clean

all: cpp java python

cpp:    add_person_cpp    list_people_cpp
java:   add_person_java   list_people_java
python: add_person_python list_people_python

clean:
    rm -f add_person_cpp list_people_cpp add_person_java list_people_java
add_person_python list_people_python
    rm -f javac_middleman AddPerson*.class ListPeople*.class
com/example/tutorial/*.class
    rm -f protoc_middleman addressbook.pb.cc addressbook.pb.h
addressbook_pb2.py com/example/tutorial/AddressBookProtos.java
    rm -f *.pyc
    rmdir com/example/tutorial 2>/dev/null || true
    rmdir com/example 2>/dev/null || true
    rmdir com 2>/dev/null || true

protoc_middleman: addressbook.proto
    protoc --cpp_out=. --java_out=. --python_out=. addressbook.proto
    @touch protoc_middleman

add_person_cpp: add_person.cc protoc_middleman
    pkg-config --cflags protobuf  # fails if protobuf is not installed
    c++ add_person.cc addressbook.pb.cc -o add_person_cpp `pkg-config --cflags
--libs protobuf`

list_people_cpp: list_people.cc protoc_middleman
    pkg-config --cflags protobuf  # fails if protobuf is not installed
    c++ list_people.cc addressbook.pb.cc -o list_people_cpp `pkg-config
--cflags --libs protobuf`

javac_middleman: AddPerson.java ListPeople.java protoc_middleman
    javac AddPerson.java ListPeople.java
com/example/tutorial/AddressBookProtos.java
    @touch javac_middleman

add_person_java: javac_middleman
    @echo "Writing shortcut script add_person_java..."
    @echo '#! /bin/sh' > add_person_java
    @echo 'java -classpath .:$$CLASSPATH AddPerson "$$@"' >> add_person_java
    @chmod +x add_person_java

list_people_java: javac_middleman
    @echo "Writing shortcut script list_people_java..."
    @echo '#! /bin/sh' > list_people_java
    @echo 'java -classpath .:$$CLASSPATH ListPeople "$$@"' >> list_people_java
    @chmod +x list_people_java

add_person_python: add_person.py protoc_middleman
    @echo "Writing shortcut script add_person_python..."
    @echo '#! /bin/sh' > add_person_python
    @echo './add_person.py "$$@"' >> add_person_python
    @chmod +x add_person_python

list_people_python: list_people.py protoc_middleman
    @echo "Writing shortcut script list_people_python..."
    @echo '#! /bin/sh' > list_people_python
    @echo './list_people.py "$$@"' >> list_people_python
    @chmod +x list_people_python