On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Vic Devin <vfn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This thread seems to be a bit old but anyway this topic became suddenly
> important for me since I start to hear the "Protobuf" new magic word.
>
> Now I was a bit surprised to discover that it is actually the same idea as
> CORBA!

No it's not - protobuf can be used to build a RPC mechanism, but there are
many other things that you can use protobuf for that you can't use CORBA
for.

For example, I've used it to write persistent EDRs to a file in a
structured format, and to stream network messages where there's no simple
request/response pairing.

The analogy with ASN.1 is a better one (and see my previous comments on
that)

Oliver