On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Leonid G <leonid.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Oliver.
>
> problem is that build system is such that those protos are necessarily
> under common root.

Not quite sure what you mean.

> I guess I'll figure it out.

Well, you can perhaps think of it this way: you have one or more
non-overlapping filesystem trees of protobuf files; you must specify the
roots of those trees via -I arguments; imported files are searched for
relative to the root of each tree; all command-line input files must lie
within one of the trees.

If you already have suitable subdirectory layout(s) containing your
protobuf files, it's probably just a case of telling your build system
where the roots of those trees are (which will turn into -I arguments),
then consistently using absolute paths everywhere on the command line.

(Personally I'd avoid placing your output anywhere near your input while
you're at it ..)

Oliver