Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 507 by j...@rawbw.com: /usr/include/google/protobuf/stubs/platform_macros.h should check for __powerpc__

What steps will reproduce the problem?

1. Compile a generated foo.pb.cc file using GCC targeting the PowerPC ISA. In my case, I am using a GCC 4.7 cross-compiler built using crosstool-ng.

2. Observe compiler error from /usr/include/google/protobuf/stubs/platform_macros.h line 61:
"Host architecture was not detected as supported by protobuf"

3. The following command line shows several predefined macros, but not __ppc__:
$ ./powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-g++ -dM -E - < /dev/null
[snip]
#define __powerpc 1
#define __powerpc__ 1
#define powerpc 1
#define __PPC 1
#define __PPC__ 1
#define PPC 1
[snip]

The correct behavior is for platform_macros.h to detect the PowerPC platform on line 57. The following works for me:

#elif defined(__ppc__) || defined(__powerpc__)

* Google protobuf 2.5.0.
* $ uname -a
Linux radix-mint14 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

None.