I have resolved my own "problem" which is mainly a misunderstanding of the
usage of the CopyingOutputStreamAdaptor.

My test was a quick test to write to a file (and then later in the same
function) read from the same file as a test for
serialization/deserialization. Turns out, then the
CopyingOutputStreamAdaptor writes when the destructor is called. (or Flush
is called seemingly).

As Feng mentioned, I need to either call Flush or deallocate the
CopyingOutputStreamAdaptor. Sorry for the post, I must have missed some
parts of the docs when I glanced over them. Thanks!