I don't know about project/product lists, but you could look to
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/downloads/list - 50,000 downloads of
protoc 2.5 since late February, which suggests reasonable usage - and that
doesn't include packages that either don't use protoc, or which embed
protoc. You could chalk up at least another 13,000 just from the most
recent version of protobuf-net (nuget+googlecode downloads), but there are
many other external implementations (
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/wiki/ThirdPartyAddOns) - perhaps that
list is a fair measure of community uptake.

It is a core part of many internal google APIs, and a few of the public
APIs. And more anecdotal: it has certainly featured in most projects with a
need for serialization (persistence, network, etc) that I've been involved
in for the last few years ;p

Marc