A little bit more info:

So, if I loop over the entries in parsing the file and create a new
CodedInputStream per entry (so that I don't hit any byte limit warnings)
AND don't use seekg, everything is ok. Strangely, if I also put in the
construction of a new IFStreamReader (which is an exact copy except for the
name from IStreamInputStream) into the same loop, thus making a new
ZeroCopyingInputStream and a new CodedInputStream per message, the parsing
fails.

So, in this case, constructing the new IStreamInputStream resets some state
of some sort and causes problems.

Another problem is when I use seekg to change the underlying ifstream. Even
when only using a single IFStreamReader (a solution that worked previously)
and using seekg to skip to the same byte location where the stream "should
be at", causes problems.