The distinction between "text" and "binary" is fairly small and
arbitrary. Can you elaborate a bit more as to what you're seeing and
what you're expecting to see? In the protobuf encoding, any string
values should show up unaltered inside of the stream (not sure why one
would expect them to be mangled in some way).