So part of this is a mono bug,  segfaults shouldn't be happening in managed
code period.

I'm embedding mono 3 in a java app and consistently get the following when
deserializing a simple protobuf message.

Stacktrace:

  at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Buffer.BlockCopyInternal
(System.Array,int,System.Array,int,int) <0xffffffff>
  at System.Buffer.BlockCopy (System.Array,int,System.Array,int,int)
<0x0006b>
  at System.IO.MemoryStream.Read (byte[],int,int) <0x000ff>
  at ProtoBuf.ProtoReader.Ensure (int,bool) <0x00237>
  at ProtoBuf.ProtoReader.TryReadUInt32VariantWithoutMoving (bool,uint&)
<0x00043>
  at ProtoBuf.ProtoReader.TryReadUInt32Variant (uint&) <0x0001f>
  at ProtoBuf.ProtoReader.ReadFieldHeader () <0x00057>
  at (wrapper dynamic-method)
com.game_machine.entity_system.generated.Entity.proto_2
(object,ProtoBuf.ProtoReader) <0x02802>
  at
ProtoBuf.Serializers.CompiledSerializer.ProtoBuf.Serializers.IProtoSerializer.Read

(object,ProtoBuf.ProtoReader) <0x0003f>
  at ProtoBuf.Meta.RuntimeTypeModel.Deserialize
(int,object,ProtoBuf.ProtoReader) <0x00150>
  at ProtoBuf.Meta.TypeModel.DeserializeCore
(ProtoBuf.ProtoReader,System.Type,object,bool) <0x00064>
  at ProtoBuf.Meta.TypeModel.Deserialize
(System.IO.Stream,object,System.Type,ProtoBuf.SerializationContext)
<0x0009b>
  at ProtoBuf.Meta.TypeModel.Deserialize
(System.IO.Stream,object,System.Type) <0x0001f>
  at ProtoBuf.Serializer.Deserialize<T> (System.IO.Stream) <0x00043>
  at GameMachine.Actor.ByteArrayToEntity (byte[]) <0x00047>
  at GameMachine.TestActor.OnReceive (byte[]) <0x0006b>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_void__this___object
(object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>

This goes away if I just run in a single thread.  It also takes an average
of 10,000 iterations or so to trigger this error.  I also tried wrapping
all deserialization calls in a mutex but that had no effect.

The threading model is such that none of the objects I am deserializing are
accessed concurrently by different threads.

Is protobuf-net completely reentrant, or does it try to reuse objects
anywhere?

This could very well all be a mono bug, but thought I would check here
first to see if someone had any ideas.

Chris