Comment #4 on issue 493 by deinspanjer: protobuf-java (2.5.0) GeneratedMessage#getUnknownFields() not implemented

I ran into this problem because I had protoc 2.4.1 installed on my system and the Maven build I was invoking was using it to try to generate code that was using the 2.5.0 library. protoc returned without error and the generated code compiled, but it caused this runtime error because of the incompatibility. These kind of silent error cases can be a real pain to track down if you aren't a developer that is explicitly working on or integrating protobuf in your project.