Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 596 by pop.a...@gmail.com: protoc cannot decode files larger than 67108864 bytes

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Create a protobuf file larger than 67108864 bytes.
2. Run protoc --decode with that file

I expected the file to be decoded into text format, but I see some errors.

Please use labels and text to provide additional information.

The errors are:
[libprotobuf WARNING google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:505] Reading dangerously large protocol message. If the message turns out to be larger than 67108864 bytes, parsing will be halted for security reasons. To increase the limit (or to disable these warnings), see CodedInputStream::SetTotalBytesLimit() in google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h. [libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:171] A protocol message was rejected because it was too big (more than 67108864 bytes). To increase the limit (or to disable these warnings), see CodedInputStream::SetTotalBytesLimit() in google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h. [libprotobuf WARNING google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:78] The total number of bytes read was 67108864
Failed to parse input.

I want an command-line flag to change the limit, instead of modifying the source code of protoc and recompiling protoc.