Comment #44 on issue 57 by osu...@gmail.com: null values should be treated as no value

Interesting thread. I love protobuf. I think the foundation of the disagreement is in comment #33: "[We] do not like the idea of treating "null" and "not present" as the same thing. They are not the same thing."

In fact, NULL is the common definition (and intuition) of "missing", at least since SQL/RDBMS (60s/70s), if not before

Usually the mismatches come from things like primitive types (say Java int, double) that don't support NULL

In our framework we simply treat hasField() == false as NULL