Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 617 by ivan.the...@gmail.com: Protobuf fails to build on Linux/SPARC

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Fetch protobuf 2.5.0 or svn r518.
2. ./configure
3. make

I expect it to compile. Versions up to 2.4.1 seem to have worked, at least for Debian, as there are native packages for Debian/sparc. (I haven't looked into whether they had to patch anything though.)

Instead, I see:
In file included from ./google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops.h:59:0,
from google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops_internals_x86_gcc.cc:36: ./google/protobuf/stubs/platform_macros.h:61:2: error: #error Host architecture was not detected as supported by protobuf In file included from google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops_internals_x86_gcc.cc:36:0:
./google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops.h:188:1: error: stray '#' in program
./google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops.h:188:1: error: 'error' does not name a type

Tried 2.5.0 as well as SVN revision 518 (the latest). I am building on Debian jessie (7.4). gcc (Debian 4.6.3-14) 4.6.3

I'm attaching a patch against SVN r518. It uses GCC's builtin atomic ops, so it should be more portable than the other architecture-specific stubs. I used the ARM stub as a template to see what functions needed to be defined.

Attachments:
        protobuf-r518-patch-linux-sparc.diff  5.8 KB