Comment #8 on issue 493 by xiaof...@google.com: protobuf-java (2.5.0) GeneratedMessage#getUnknownFields() not implemented

We don't want to provide this runtime compatibility across different versions. If you are using protoc 2.5, the corresponding 2.5 runtime library must be used. In the future we may update the generated code to report a version mismatch error (like what we already did for C++) for such cases so users will be clear what's going wrong.