Hi all,

Homebrew can be used to install protocol buffers on OSX. I've been looking
into upgrading the homebrew version to 2.6.0. However, I came across a bit
of a problem -which I think also happens in the 2.5.0 install actually-:

When homebrew installs the python package it uses these (rather cryptic)
command line switches: --record=installed.txt
--single-version-externally-managed. I.e. for the 2.6.0 this would become:

$ python setup.py install --cpp_implementation
--prefix=/some/homebrew/prefix/ --record=installed.txt
--single-version-externally-managed

When these command line switches are used the protocol buffers package no
longer just installs as a single python egg, but also creates a separate
"google" directory in site packages with some meta information. However,
when this happens protocol buffers no longer wants to import in Python (
i.e. "import google.protobuf" or "import google" all fail).

When I install protocol buffers straight-from-source and leave out the
single-version-externally-managed/record command line everything works
fine. But this now no longer works in Homebrew.

I have the feeling that there is an incompatibility between google's
package and homebrew - or something more fundamental is happening.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue?

greetings,

 - bram