The problem is not the imports. It's because you have only defined a
message named "a" but are trying to reference something named "A" and hence
the error message: "A is not defined"...

To fix the problem, you need to update the message names. According to protobuf
style guide, <https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/style>
they should be named in CamelCase style. And then, you probably will find
the generated Java code still doesn't compile and that's because you set
the outer-class name to exactly the same name which is already used for the
message. So you need to update the java_outer_classname as well. After that
they should compile just fine.