I've found my problem:

SerializeToZeroCopyStream doesn't return any error because all the stream
does is accumulate the input in a buffer before compression, so it doesn't
even try to write the result yet.
The stream return error codes when calling Flush() and Close(). If I call
those then I detect that there is an error from Zlib. But because I was
relying on the stream destructor to flush, I was not getting any error.