This is not really a protobuf question, moreso a C++ question. But anyways,
the typical way to do this is:

template <typename T> struct MatrixTraits { };
template <> struct MatrixTraits<double> { typedef DoubleMatrix type; };
template <> struct MatrixTraits<float>    { typedef FloatMatrix type; };

template <typename DType> class Matrix {
    typename MatrixTraits<DType>::type mat_data_;
};