Hi,

I haven't been able to find any documentation that explicitly states
whether the wire (binary) format of Protobuf v2 messages are compatible
with protobuf messages generated with v3 (using `syntax=proto2`). The only
documentation seems to mention API differences between the two library
versions.

We use protobuf-java and would like to transition from PB v2->v3, but only
for new message types. We would like systems that use protobuf-java v2 and
protoc v2 generated messages to be able to communicate with systems using
protobuf-java v3 and protoc v3 generated messages (and vice versa). It
stands to reason that messages that use `syntax=proto3` are not guaranteed
to work in this fashion, but I'm curious about messages marked as proto2.

Thanks,

Mike