On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:50 AM, <goo...@m3fintech.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> The language guide claims that proto2 supports maps:
>
> https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/proto#maps
>
> However, the compiler version 2.6.1 does not seem to like this construct.
> Also according to the release notes, maps seem to have been introduced only
> in version 3.
>
> Is the documentation inconsistent, or am I missing something?

I think we can improve the document by explicitly pointing out that map
fields are only supported from version 3.0.0. I know it's quite confusing
but proto2 syntax does not correspond to version 2.x.x. Proto2 is also
supported in version 3.0.0. If you want the latest features/bug-fixes of
proto2 syntax, you should use version 3.0.0 rather than 2.6.1.