We can read in the protocol documentation :
"You can add new fields to your message formats without breaking
backwards-compatibility; old binaries simply ignore the new field when
parsing."

It's not true with the json java parser in the 3.0.0-beta-1 version and we
can have the following exception if a foo attribute is present in a json
message and not present in the TestService.proto :
Exception in thread "main"
com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Cannot find field: foo
in message TestService.TestMessage
    at
com.google.protobuf.util.JsonFormat$ParserImpl.mergeMessage(JsonFormat.java:1111)
    at
com.google.protobuf.util.JsonFormat$ParserImpl.merge(JsonFormat.java:1075)
    at
com.google.protobuf.util.JsonFormat$ParserImpl.merge(JsonFormat.java:973)
    at com.google.protobuf.util.JsonFormat$Parser.merge(JsonFormat.java:201)
    at test.Proto3Test.main(Proto3Test.java:73)