On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Brandon Philips <
brandon.phil...@coreos.com> wrote:

> Hello-
>
> The Open Container Initiative is investigating use of protobuf for use for
> filesystem and container metadata. Part of the goal is to make this
> metadata signable. However, we learned that protobuf binary serialization
> are not deterministic between implementations:
> https://groups.google.com/a/opencontainers.org/d/msg/dev/xo4SQ92aWJ8/ad1-xm9qCAAJ
>
> Is there any hope of that being tackled in protobuf3

Unlikely.

> or there being at least a mode to say "I really want the deterministic
> serialization"?

Maybe. There has been requests about adding such serialization support,
though we haven't put much effort in it because it's a low priority
comparing to many other stuff we are working on.

> It isn't a huge blocker for us but it does mean the same spec serialized
> in a python tool and java tool MAY be different which is a bit annoying.

The undeterministic comes from unknown fields and a new feature protobuf
maps. If you can guarantee there are no such fields in your proto, the
protobuf library will always serialize other fields ordered by field number
and thus should output the same bytes. This is what most people are relying
on when they need to fingerprint or use protobuf serialized data as keys.