The documentation mentions "An implementation may provide options to emit
fields with default values in the JSON-encoded output."

I assumed that meant an implementation of Printer class, ie. an alternative
to  JsonFormat.printer().print(myMessage), but it appears that any
implementation would depend on GeneratedMessage::getAllFields() which does
not include default fields (GeneratedMessage:2123). I also read through
descriptor.proto to see if there was an option for this, but that did not
appear to be the case.

Is there a way to do this out of the box, or would it require code changes?
And would this be different for other languages? (This is using proto3, if
that's not implied by the above.)