Hi Rob,

unfortunately Cocoapods wants to distance themselves from the use cases of
a build system, so the solution you've found is the only one that fits its
system.

Another, a bit more blunt, way to make Cocoapods rerun the
"prepare_command" commands is to delete your workspace and Podfile.lock
files, and run "pod install" again.

Cheers,
Jorge