Greetings,
I am new to protocol buffer. Firstly, let me thank the google family for
this product. To be able to use it more efficiently, I would like to ask a
few questions regarding the message I create and its size:
I followed the tutorial / example
at https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/pythontutorial and
created my own message after having created the necessary .py files out of
my custom .proto file.
I create a message using the _pb2.py files that are created after
compilation and I save the message with the following command in python:

f = open('sample_data.bin', "wb")
f.write(my_data.SerializeToString())
f.close()

the resulting "sample_data.bin" file can be furthered compressed (via a
simple windows compression) and we can have memory savings. Is this
completely normal? OR depending on the protocol buffer profile, no matter
what compression algorithm you use, the size of the resulting message
created via the .proto profile cannot be made any smaller.

Or is it wrong of me to think of protocol buffers as a compression
algorithm ?
The reason why i am asking is for the application i am working on we
thought protocol buffers offers the optimal performance in terms of memory
savings as well

Please let me know if i need to clarify my problem (attach code, etc)

thanks
Can