On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM, <christ...@lefty.io> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For context, we are using proto3 messages as our main data model and we
> are exporting some messages to Google BigQuery.
>
> In order to automate things a bit we wrote a protoc plugin
> to generate bigquery schemas automatically from our .proto files,
> and given that BigQuery objects are just json, we use JsonFormat to
> translate messages directly into json.
>
> This is pretty much fantastic, except for the only fact that we would like
> some of our int64 fields to be int64 fields in BigQuery, thus we must rely
> on a fork of JsonFormat that allows us to write int64 fields as numbers
> instead of strings.

I'm not familiar with BigQuery. Is the problem that when you send a JSON
request with int64 field as strings, the sever will reject such requests?

> Would the proto3 team be opened to having JsonFormat extra options
> that would allow for doing that kind of stuff (eg: writing int64 as
> numbers)?

If that's the only feasible option, we should do it to make proto3 JSON
compatible with other Google APIs. Though I'm not sure I understand the
problem fully yet. Maybe there is something we can do on the BigQuery side?
Like making BigQuery accept int64 field as strings?