I have installed proto3 from yesterday's master and it all seems to work
fine. Also managed to get it to work with python without too much trouble.
I am running on Windows.

I am now following the instructions in protobuf/java, though, and am
running into the following error:

C:\coding\proto\protobuf\java>mvn test

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[WARNING]

[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model
for com.google.protobuf:protobuf-java:bundle:3.0.0-beta-2

[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 57,
column 15

[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin is missing. @ line 64,
column 15

[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin is missing. @ line 162, column 15

[WARNING]

[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.

[WARNING]

[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support
building such malformed projects.

[WARNING]

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO] Building Protocol Buffer Java API 3.0.0-beta-2

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-antrun-plugin:1.3:run (generate-sources) @ protobuf-java
---

[INFO] Executing tasks

     [exec] protoc:./.libs/lt-protoc.c:233: FATAL: couldn't find
..\src\protoc.

     [exec] Result: 1

[INFO] Executed tasks

[INFO] Registering compile source root
C:\coding\proto\protobuf\java\target\generated-sources

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.7:resources (default-resources) @
protobuf-java ---

[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered
resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!

[INFO] Copying 12 resources

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.3:compile (default-compile) @
protobuf-java ---

[INFO] Changes detected - recompiling the module!

[WARNING] File encoding has not been set, using platform encoding Cp1252,
i.e. build is platform dependent!

[INFO] Compiling 66 source files to
C:\coding\proto\protobuf\java\target\classes

[INFO]
/C:/coding/proto/protobuf/java/src/main/java/com/google/protobuf/GeneratedMessageLite.java:

Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.

[INFO]
/C:/coding/proto/protobuf/java/src/main/java/com/google/protobuf/GeneratedMessageLite.java:

Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------

[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :

[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------

[ERROR]
/C:/coding/proto/protobuf/java/src/main/java/com/google/protobuf/Descriptors.java:[33,1]

package com.google.protobuf.DescriptorProtos does not exist

[ERROR]
/C:/coding/proto/protobuf/java/src/main/java/com/google/protobuf/Descriptors.java:[77,12]

cannot find symbol

  symbol:   class FileDescriptorProto

  location: class com.google.protobuf.Descriptors.FileDescriptor

..

(and then a lot more similar failures).

Has anyone seen that before? A quick look around (stackoverflow etc) did
not come up with any hits, but I apologise in advance if this was a
well-known problem that I could have easily fixed myself.

Thanks,

-J