I’m trying to implement Any, including proper JSON and protobuf encoding,
and the following scenario has me stumped:

I’m looking at the any.proto file, which includes this example:

Sample proto file:

//     package google.profile;

//     message Person {

//       string first_name = 1;

//       string last_name = 2;

//     }

Resulting JSON encoding:

//     {

//       "@type": "type.googleapis.com/google.profile.Person",

//       "firstName": <string>,

//       "lastName": <string>

//     }

The scenario I’m trying to understand involves three systems:

Originating system:

* Knows google.profile and writes out the JSON above

Middle system:

* Reads the JSON example above

* Does *not* know google.profile (doesn’t have the descriptor and has no
way to get it)

* Writes out protobuf

Receiving system:

* Knows google.profile and reads the protobuf

In particular:  What is the protobuf serialization between the middle and
receiving systems?

Without the descriptor, the middle system cannot poduce the “real" protobuf
binary format (the field numbers aren’t in that format), so the only option
would seem to be to serialize the JSON data as a protobuf Struct
representation (which in turn has interesting implications for the
receiving system). Am I missing some other option?

Tim

P.S.  Nice work on the conformance test suite, by the way!  That clarified
a *lot* of details about the expected handling for protobuf JSON format.