There are increasing numbers of references to "well-known" types in protos.
For instance, I see changes in the Go implementation to support them.
There were passing references in release notes in this group.

However, the main protobuf site includes no narrative explanation that I
can find.

The idea of a few well-known types to represent "Boxed" values since proto3
removes the ability to null out fields makes sense, but the only
documentation I could find, in the reference section of the protobuf site
at
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/reference/google.protobuf,
includes all sorts of things like Struct, Method, Mixin, etc. that are
entirely unclear.

Is there a conversation happening somewhere that I'm missing, or is it
Google-internal but not documented outside yet?

Thanks,

Zellyn

ps - the reintroduction of message types for primitives rather undermines
my belief in the arguments for removing optional fields in proto3 in the
first place. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the folks
designing proto3: is the thinking articulated clearly somewhere?