I saw the start\end group but I couldn't find any information on those and
how to use them.

Your point about skipping fields makes sense.
I think it is also solvable with applying the same idea of chunked
encoding, even on sub fields.
So instead of writing the full length of the child field, you allow the
serializer to write it in smaller chunks.
The deserializer can then just read the chunk markings and skip them.
A very basic serializer can put just one chunk (which will be equivalent to
the current implementation, plus one more zero marking at the end), but it
allows a more efficient serializer to stream data.

Regarding adding something to the encoding spec, are you allowing proto2
serializers to call into proto3 deserializers and vice versa?
I thought that if you have a protoX server, you expect clients to take the
protoX file and generate a client out of it, which will match that proto
version encoding. Isn't it the case?

Thanks,
Yoav.