I doubt that anybody will know the answer / solution to this, but since I'm
more or less at my wits end, I figured I'd try.

One a very small number of hosts we're getting this error when an
application which uses the Google Protocol Buffers 2.6.1:

protocol_buffers\src\google\protobuf\descriptor_database.cc:315] Invalid
file descriptor data passed to EncodedDescriptorDatabase::Add().
protocol_buffers\src\google\protobuf\descriptor.cc:1018] CHECK failed:
generated_database_->Add(encoded_file_descriptor, size):

As a result, the application won't start.

It seems as if the method where it's failing is being called from
InternalAddGeneratedFile(), but even though I instrumented most of the
generated pb_.....pb.cc files with printf() statemetns, I don't see any of
my custom output when I run the test application, it immediately goes to
that error.

Does anybody have any idea why this may be happening?