I'm working on a project and we are hoping to use protocol buffers for
messages between embedded and PC based applications.

One issue I've immediately run into is protocol buffers only has 32 and 64
bit integers, I'm needing 16 and 8 bit integers for fields in the messages.
  Has anyone been able to successfully add integer types to protocol
buffers?  We are using C++ on the embedded side and Java on the PC side.

Thanks,
Doug