Think of protocol buffers as serializing all your data into efficient
binary data. In other words, it's not like JSON or XML, which are
represented as text. Therefore, the protobufs will generally be much
smaller than with other schemes. However, I don't know how CORBA encodes
data, so I can't be sure protobufs will be more efficient. My GUESS is that
they will, because Google is behind them, and they're used everywhere in
Google's incredibly high-scaling applications.

Then let's look at ZeroMQ. ZeroMQ lists itself as being asynchronous, which
means that your app should not hang. Furthermore, I don't think you'll need
to break up your messages because that's what TCP/IP is supposed to do
under the hood. In other words, your ZeroMQ will send a message over
TCP/IP/UDP/etc., and the underlying transport layer may or may not break
those messages into smaller packets.

The upshot is that while I don't have specific information about CORBA,
your application, or even ZeroMQ, I'm GUESSING that yes, this application
will be much more to your liking than your old approach. However, you
really need to do a few experiments with real data to be sure. I would not
commit to ANY new technology, even protobufs, until I was sure that they
not only worked well, but worked well for my individual situation and needs.

     Jeff