After much work by 2 engineers we were finally able to build proto3 using
Visual Studio 2015 and are able to build Windows programs that use the
protocol buffers, proto3.

Now for the meat of our project, we are planning on using the protocol
buffers in an embedded environment that is running an ARM processor so we
need to build the proto3 for a cross compile to the ARM.  I was never able
to get proto3 to build using the GNU tools on my Windows PC, failed during
the link process (could not find a .lib file in a directory).  I checked
and the .lib file exists in the directory that the linker is expecting it
to be in.

Thanks,
Doug