Hello,

last few weeks I am using ProtoBuf together with MQTT and sqlite to control
lab experiments and make logs of. Overall I am very satisfied, using
C/nanopb (without malloc), original C++ implementation (dynamic compilation
of .protos is great), Python and Julia (ProtoBuf.jl). ** Many thanks here
for nanopb & ProtoBuf.jl authors! **

The last one is, at present time, unable to parse some messages, and I
would like to resolve, whether they are encoded well, or not, ie. where to
put bugreports/own development efforts.

Example: I have the following .proto:

message DoubleVector {
  repeated double v = 1;
}

Some encoding libs (e.g. Python, Julia ProtoBuf.jl) encodes one value as
{0x09, some_8_bytes}, more values by {0x09, first_8_bytes, 0x09,
second_8_bytes, etc.}. It gets decoded by Python, Julia, C++ correctly.

However, nanopb (3rd party protobuf lib, ligthweight and in many respects
very useful) generates something like this: {0x0a, 0x08, some_8_bytes}. It
seems, that instead of encoding "single 8byte value", it encodes "string
length 8 bytes".

What is interesting, all library decoders (except ProtoBuf.jl) decodes well
both variants, 0x9 + payload, as well as 0xa, 0x8 + payload. Tested even
with protoc --decode. Can you tell me, what applies:

a) both variants are correct (so, ProtoBuf.jl shall be corrected)

b) 0xa, 0x8 is a wrong way (although it works under several libraries and
protoc --decode; so nanopb shall be corrected)

Is there any recommendation on how these repeated arrays shall be encoded?
I tried to find the information at Google ProtoBuf website, but I have
found only a very basic examples, not covering this in particular.

Many thanks,
Marek