Hello,

In my cpp proto3 project I am using enums that are wrapped in messages to
avoid namespace collisions.  See for example:

message Physics {
  enum Enum {
     STRUCTURAL = 0;
     THERMAL = 1;

In c++ I can refer to it by Physics::STRUCTURAL which is great.

In this case, the Physics message does not have any fields. It derives from
google::protobuf::Message or MessageLite and has some generated methods
that are not relevant.  In a project with several thousand enums, this
could create binary bloat when compiled.

Does it make sense for protoc to identify messages that are simply there to
wrap enums and provide a lighter api for it?  Or more generally to identify
messages that do not have fields and derive from something even smaller
than MessageLite?

Thanks,
Mohamed Koubaa
Software Developer