"Protobuf Support" author here. I highly recommend you to disable/uninstall
one of plugins, as they might conflict when enabled together (provided
functionality is very similar, so there are conflicts). Test both plugins
and select the best one :)

About your question, I'm not sure that it is possible to achieve same
behavior as in Eclipse.
According to documentation -
https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/IDEADEV/Maven+Integration+FAQ -
you have to run maven goal manually.

Any time you want to generate sources you simply execute the corresponding
> goal, bound for generation (usually generate-sources,
> generate-test-sources). After that IDEA will pick up new folders and set
> them up.

You can find maven-protoc-plugin:compile goal on "Maven Projects" panel and
run it. I think this is the most simple and fast way.

P.S. In the IntelliJ IDEA files are saved automatically, so you never need
to press "save" button every 20 seconds. They explain it
here:
https://blog.jetbrains.com/webide/2009/10/do-not-bother-saving-files-anymore/
.