That's good to know that you're using protocol buffers on some vintage
hardware! :) I wonder if it's not the code per se that's being miscompiled
for the architecture but perhaps just the serialized descriptor data that's
being linked into the binary. It might be interesting to try saving the
descriptor data to disk from one of the affected machines and then
examining it after the fact to see if it's truncated or somehow otherwise
corrupted.