The current format for encoding floating point numbers does not allow for
compression in the way the format for integer numbers does.  I understand
this, since the IEEE formats do not offer a means to compress their numbers.

There is another floating point format called unum
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unum_(number_format)).  This format allows
for compression and more precisely represents the final number, for a given
precision.

I bring this up as a suggestion to get even more compression into the
protobuffer format.

Sincerely,
 Vincent