down votefavorite
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40349112/protocol-buffer-installation-for-hadoop-installation-on-windows-10-maven#>

I am trying to install hadoop based on below link :

http://www.srccodes.com/p/article/38/build-install-configure-run-apache-hadoop-2.2.0-microsoft-windows-os

However, on trying to build hadoop from source I get below error :

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-maven-plugins:2.7.3:protoc (compile-protoc) on
project hadoop-common: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException:
'protoc --version' did not return a version -> [Help 1]

But on checking protocol buffer version I get below error :

C:\hds\hadoop-2.7.3-src>protoc -version 'protoc' is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I have extracted "Protocol Buffer" in C:\protobuf-master and set
environment PATH to C:\protobuf-master

Observation : I do not see protoc.exe or any BIN folder in
C:\protobuf-master

   1. Do I need to build "Protocol Buffer" for use in windows?
   2. I could not find any pre-built "Protocol Buffer"at
   https://github.com/google/protobuf

I am using windows 10, 64 bit system. trying to build hadoop eventually to
use Spark. please help.