Hi Adam,
Please find the below snippet and the associated error:
//Code

                IpInterfaceAddress *i = dynamic_cast<IpInterfaceAddress*>
(x); //x is of type google::protobuf::Message *
if(i != NULL)
{
DNSServerNames temp;
temp.add_dnsservers("aaa");
i->MutableExtension.SetExtension(a);
                }

//Error:
 error C2228: left of '.SetExtension' must have class/struct/union

And tried following as well
//code:
                IpInterfaceAddress *i = dynamic_cast<IpInterfaceAddress*>
(x); //x is of type google::protobuf::Message *
if(i != NULL)
{
                            i->AddExtension(dnsServerNames,(char*)value );
                }

//error
error C2664: 'void
IpInterfaces::IpInterfaceAddress::AddExtension<google::protobuf::internal::MessageTypeTraits<Type>,11,false>(const

google::protobuf::internal::ExtensionIdentifier<ExtendeeType,TypeTraitsType,field_type,is_packed>

&,const IpInterfaces::DNSServerNames &)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from
'char *' to 'const IpInterfaces::DNSServerNames &'
          with
          [
              Type=IpInterfaces::DNSServerNames,
              ExtendeeType=IpInterfaces::IpInterfaceAddress,

TypeTraitsType=google::protobuf::internal::MessageTypeTraits<IpInterfaces::DNSServerNames>,
              field_type=11,
              is_packed=false
          ]
          Reason: cannot convert from 'char *' to 'const
IpInterfaces::DNSServerNames'
          No constructor could take the source type, or constructor
overload resolution was ambiguous

Regards,
Sachin