I've been happily using protocol buffers to implement Java <-> Python
interaction using OSGi Remote Services [1,2].

Remote Services is a spec that extends OSGi services to out-of-process
access.   A nice thing about the Remote Services spec is that it is
transport-independent...allowing arbitrary wire protocols and serialization
formats via a distribution provider.  For example, I've created
distribution providers based upon Py4j [1], and grcp/protocol buffers [2].
 The distribution provider(s) can be selected at runtime for individual
remote services.

One thought I've had would be to allow remote services to be declared in
.proto files, and generate the osgi remote service a) metadata; b) impl
code; c) client code.

I think one way to do this would be to implement protoc language additions
for handling the service keyword, as grcp does.  Another way would be to
add something like osgiremoteservice keyword to protoc for handling
declaring and generating osgi remote services across multiple languages.

Question:  Is there a way to add a new keyword to protoc?   I would prefer
not to just provide an impl of the existing proto3 'service' keyword,
because an osgi remote service has other/additional behavior (e.g.
dynamics, async access, etc) based upon the OSGi service registry.

Thanks,

Scott

[1] https://github.com/ECF/Py4j-RemoteServicesProvider

[2] https://github.com/ECF/grpc-RemoteServicesProvider