I have build protobuf branch 2.7.0 successfully in Visual Studio 2017 using
cmake. Now I am trying to port an existing project, also based on cmake.
But cmake is not able to find protobuf.

Protobuf was checked out from git to c:\protobuf. After that I loaded the
CMakeLists.txt into Visual  Studio, set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to
"c:\\protobuf\\install" and built and installed the project. After that I
switched to my other project. It is a linux project, a simple

find_package(Protobuf REQUIRED)

is enough for linux, in Visual Studio it returns:

CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148

(message):
1>   Could NOT find Protobuf (missing: Protobuf_LIBRARIES
Protobuf_INCLUDE_DIR)
1> Call Stack (most recent call first):

ok, trying to help find_package:

find_package(Protobuf CONFIG REQUIRED PATHS "c:/protobuf/install/"
NO_DEFAULT_PATH)
find_package(Protobuf REQUIRED)

returns

CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148

(message):
1>   Could NOT find Protobuf (missing: Protobuf_LIBRARIES
Protobuf_INCLUDE_DIR)
1>   (found version "2.7.0")

Hm, it found the right version, but no headers and libs. Both are there, I
have checked it. The libs  are static libs.

I am stuck here. Anyone able to help me?

Mathias