Hi everyone,

I've just started with protobuf.

I've noticed that using proto3 means that if you set a parameter with
default values (e.g. bool false) it is no longer serialised. For my
application, sending the default value conveys information, so this is
unacceptable as the deserialiser does not know that the variable was set. I
noticed that proto 2 has a 'optional' keyword which seems to do what I
want. I also found a work around in proto 3 in the link below but it is
really ugly.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33204321/upgrading-protobuf-from-version-2-to-3-incompatible-with-protobuf-default-valu

My questions are

What is the long term support plan for proto 2? Will it be abandoned by
google in the future?
What would be computationally more efficient, using proto 2 or using proto
3 with the work around?

Thanks